Monday, December 15, 2008

A New Year ... A New Beginning



A New Year ... A New Beginning

In the United States, New Year's Day is celebrated on January 1st. On this special day, crowds of people gather into Times Square in order to watch the ball descend from the sky at midnight. In just about two weeks we will be saying good-bye to the year 2008 and hello to 2009. For many people this occasion will give them the opportunity to forget everything that has happened during the previous year and focus on a more positive upcoming year. This joyous time makes people smile and grateful that we live in such a wonderful country.

One major part of the holiday is making what is a called a New Year's resolution. In past years, I have failed to keep my resolutions for more than two weeks. However, this year I have a good feeling that I will be able to keep my promise for a longer period of time. This year my resolution is to get back into shape and loose 15 pounds by joining a gym and cutting out fast food. I have certainly limited myself with fast food in recent months, however, nothing seems to help unless you are exercising simultaneously. Getting back into shape is not only for personal reasons, but in order to stay healthy as well. High Cholesterol and Diabetes, two serious health risks, run in my family. Therefore, it is extremely important for me to maintain a smart and sensible diet.
For those who are graduating this December, I wish you the best of luck in your future en devours! For everyone else who I will see next semester, have a safe and happy holiday.

What will 2009 have in store for you?? Only time will tell ....

Vocabulary Review
simultaneously: (adjective)
existing, occurring, or operating at the same time
descend: (verb) to go or pass from a higher to a lower place
grateful: (adjective) warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness
resolution:(noun) a formal expression of opinion or intention made
joyous:(adjective) joyful; happy

Vocabulary Practice
1. The plane began to ________ from the sky when they were approaching its final destination.
2. During Thanksgiving and other holidays, we reflect on the many things we are _____ for in our lives.
3. Holidays are a _______ occasion for people to be merry and celebrate together with friends and family.
4. I made a New Year's ______ to stop eating candy and junk food.
5. The scientist was hoping that the two reactions would occur ________
.

Grammar Point- Articles
(a, an, the)
Articles belong to the wider class of 'determiner', words of phrases that come at the beginning of a noun phrase and signal whether the information is new or familiar, or which tell us something about quantity. These are used frequently during both writing and speaking. Since articles are part of noun phrases, they come at the beginning of the the phrase either immediately before a noun or an adjective, or before a combination of adverb, adjective & noun.

examples:
I heard a noise. (noun)
I heard an eerie noise. (adjective + noun)
I heard the strangely muffled noise of an animal in pain. (adverb + adjective + noun)

Question of the Week:

What is your New Year's resolution?

No comments: