Tuesday, October 21, 2008

All About My New Teaching Experience


My New Teaching Experience

I began teaching at Riverside Elementary in Rockville Centre about three weeks ago. So far, my experience has been nothin short of wonderful. I work as a teacher's aide in both a first and third grade classroom. My cooperating teacher, Mrs. Altman, is acutally an alumni of Molloy College herself. In addition, two of my former classmates are also teaching assistants at this school. Right now my first graders are working on their earthworm unit. They are excited about this topic, especially when it comes to playing in the dirt and physically handling the worms.


It is really nice to work with a helpul and compassionate staff who are extremely dedicated and passionate about teaching. I never hesitate to ask any questions and I look forward to a fun-filled year with more experiences to build on my foundation. Last semester for my Undergraduate degree I performed my student teaching experience at William S. Covert. This is another elementary school located in rockville centre. Rockville centre has a great curriculum and I certainly feel comfortbale in this district.



Vocabulary Review


compassionate (adjective)- having or showing compassion


dedicated (adjective)- wholly committed to something

foundation (noun)- the basis or groundwork of anything

especially (adverb)- particularly; exceptionally

alumni (noun)- a graduate or former student of a specific school, college, or university


Vocabulary Practice

1. I love all winter sporting activities, ________ skiing.

2. The _________ man worked very hard to build the house. He wouldn't stop at anything until he was finished.

3. I graduated last May from Molloy College and now I am considered an _______ of the school.

4. Due to their caring nature, nurses are usually very _________ people.

5. My college experience has built a strong ________ for my educational career.


Grammar Point- plural nouns
In writing, we place an apostrohe ('):
  • before the possessive s on singular nouns (A girl's book)
  • after the possessive s on regular plural words (the books' covers)

The pronunciation rules for 's are the same as those for regular plural endings.

Question of the week:
How has teaching changed your life?
Would you to offer any advice for first year teachers?

No comments: