Sunday, October 12, 2008

Loss of a Loved One

In Loving Memory
Laverne M. Shepherd
8/1/27 - 10/6/08

Death is something which is inevitable. It is also something which is universal and affects us all, at one point in time or another. The loss of a loved one can often be a difficult time in a person's life and no matter who the person is, it is never easy to let go. Recently, my grandmother passed away. She was a remarkable, brilliant, inspiring woman who touched every ones life she met. When I first heard the dreadful news, I was beside myself, unsure of how I would ever get through without her in my life to guide and protect me. Not before long, I simply ran out of tears to cry and words to say. It was clear, nothing I could do or say would bring her back. It was at that moment that I realized, I was being extremely selfish. I simply wanted to keep her here for myself, when it was God who really needed her.
With all of the help from my family and friends I now know that everything is going to be okay. I will continue to live my life to the fullest each day as a dedication to her and myself. Although she may not be physically present, I know that she is watching over me and with me each day. I would like to share with you a wonderful poem that my mother wrote pertaining to this event in our lives.
Beyond the horizon is where dreams come true.
You can find undeniable love and peace that waits with open arms just for you.

To hold you tight and never let you go,
to make you feel completely whole.

To whisper all the words you long to hear,
to create a bond of trust that will always be there.

To ease your heart when there are moments which are sad,
and bring joy and laughter to make you glad.

To give you courage when you are weak, and make you strong to fulfill all of your needs.

To care about you every moment in which you breathe,
and live your life the way it is meant to be.

For it may truly be that just beyond the horizon are more than dreams,
perhaps destinies.
Vocabulary Review
dedication (noun)- the act of dedicating.
dreadful (adj.)- causing great dread, fear, or terror.
inevitable (adj.)- unable to be avoided, evaded, or escaped.
selfish (adj.)- devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
universal (adj.)- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of all or the whole: universal experience.
Vocabulary Practice
1. The _________ boy would not share his new toys with any of his brothers/sisters.
2. Walking through the graveyard alone at night can be a ___________ experience.
3. Working hard each day and never giving up is a real ____________ to your job.
4. The fact that the sun will eventually set this evening is ___________.
5. English is perceived to be the __________ language of the business world.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love the poem. I'm a writer myself and it was very well written. Please tell your mother your classmate enjoyed it on your blog. I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother. I lost my grandfather 3 years ago this past March and it's amazing it's even been that long. It was very, very difficult for me. Him and I were very close. Recently, my grandmother hasn't been doing great. It helps us to realize how fragile life is and how important it is for us to appreciate what we have here and who we have in our lives. If it helps you to feel better, I'm sure your grandmother wouldn't want you to mourn. Taking care of yourself will get easier and things will grow less painful. At some point, you do let go. All the best during a difficult time. The blog was well written.

Teacher: Jackie said...

The poem is very touching. I suffered a lot when my grandmother died. It was a very difficult time. I still feel sick when I drive down her old block, where we spent so many happy times. Thirty years have passed, and sometimes I feel as if it were just yesterday.

The grief fades, but there may always be a hole in one's life.

Teacher: Jackie said...

The poem is very touching. I suffered a lot when my grandmother died. It was a very difficult time. I still feel sick when I drive down her old block, where we spent so many happy times. Thirty years have passed, and sometimes I feel as if it were just yesterday.

The grief fades, but there may always be a hole in one's life.